2 Days Marrakech Desert Tour
2 Days Desert Tour From Marrakech to Zagora
A 2 days Marrakech desert tour to Zagora will be an opportunity to discover Morocco’s breathtaking Sahara desert. If you are only in the country for a short time and yet want to experience the desert landscapes, then this could be the perfect tour for you. Zagora is around seven hours drive from Marrakech, each way. But travelling through such astounding scenery, there is no way that you could ever get bored. On our tours, also, we always make sure that you will be comfortable during the journey. Though travel will inevitable take up much of the time, you will still get the opportunity to enjoy a sunset camel ride, and overnight in a desert camp under the stars.
- Drive: You will experience a thrilling drive across the Tizi Ntichka pass and the High Atlas Mountains.
- Visit the villages: We will also visit the village which is well-known for its world heritage Kasbah. This is the Ait Ben Hadou’s Berber village.
- Drive along Draa Valley: We will also experience the beauty of Draa valley and its surrounding. This will include palm trees dotted rivers, fortified villages of valley and oases.
- Camel ride: You will also get a chance to enjoy camel riding while watching beautiful sunset views at Zagora desert.
- Camping: Enjoy a sound sleep under the starry sky at your Berber desert camp.
- Visit Ouarzazate: Our next destination will be Ouarzazate along with its Atlas Film Studios and Taourirt Kasbah.
2 Days Desert Tour Itinerary
DAY 1 : MARRAKECH – OUARZAZATE – ZAGORA (7 H DRIVE)You will set off on your desert tour from your hotel or riad in Marrakech early in the morning. (Around 7.30am). The first part of the tour will take you across the High Altas Mountains and through the Tizi Ntichka Pass. There, you will climb to an altitude of 2260m, and pass through various pretty Berber villages. Along the way, there will be several stops which will allow you to stretch your legs, take some photographs, or perhaps enjoy a cup of mint tea.. Next, you will visit famous Ait Ben Haddou, with its UNESCO world heritage listed kasbah. This kasbah may seem familiar to you – it has been used as a set for a number of movies including 'Lawrence of Arabia', and, somewhat more recently, 'Gladiator'. You will spend an hour here at leisure, exploring the village with a local guide. You will have some time at leisure to enjoy some lunch either here in Ait Ben Haddou, or a little further along the route in Ouarzazate. After lunch, you will drive past the Anti Atlas Mountains and through the Berber village of Agdez and travel through the picturesque Draa Valley, with its fortified villages, with shady palms parading alongside rivers, and clustering around tranquil oases. Thousands of date palms will line the route – this valley is considered to be the largest such plantation in Morocco. Reaching the Zagora Desert, late in the afternoon, you will enjoy your sunset camel ride on the sands. Enjoying an age old experience in this harsh yet beautiful landscape. Arriving by camel back in the desert camp, you will enjoy a marvelous Moroccan dinner and be entertained by the sound of drums. Then finally, after your long day, you can fall asleep in the restful Berber desert camp and enjoy a comfortable night's repose. Dinner & overnight
DAY 2 : ZAGORA – HIGH ATLAS – MARRAKECH (7 H DRIVE)Waking up early, you will enjoy another camel ride as the sun rises over the horizon and the desert rapidly begins to warm. You will then enjoy a traditional Moroccan breakfast before you set off back to Marrakech. En route back to Marrakech, you will visit Ouarzazate city, where you will see the Taourirt Kasbah, and Atlas Film Studios. Finally, you will return back over the Tizi Ntitchka Pass to Marrakech. You will be dropped back off at your hotel or riad by late afternoon, to conclude your two day adventure.
- Hotel or riad pick up and drop off (or to closest available point if the place is not car accessible).
- The journey to Zagora in an air-conditioned 4x4 or van driven by an English-speaking driver/guide.
- Camel rides evening and morning, both around 1 hour in duration.
- Overnight stay in a private tent in comfortable camp as standard. Including shared bathroom and showers, dinner and breakfast.
- (Upgrade to a luxury camp with an ensuite tent is available upon booking for an additional €65 per person.)
- Beverages and lunches
- Entrance fees (if applicable)
- Local guides (if applicable)
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Zagora is a desert with a flat rock, it's hard to find any sand dune there
- From Marrakech to Zagora the straight driving time is 7 hours
- Do not forget to bring warm clothes while visiting Zagora in winters
- The tour is also including sunrise and sunset camel rides
- To avoid skin contact with the saddle of camels, you must wear long shirts with full sleeves along with jeans
- Zagora campsites contain electricity but in the public areas only
- Always bring sunglasses, effective sunscreen and comfortable shoes
- For comfortable camps which are included in the trip, you have to bring your bathroom condiments. While for luxury camps, everything will part of your package